In most cases, severe psychiatric conditions don’t develop overnight. Family, friends, and even the person themselves usually notice symptoms and warning signs of mental illness before it becomes full-blown. Reaching out for help when you suspect mental illness is the best way to start recovering.
What Is Mental Illness?
Psychiatric disorders can fall into several categories. They include:
- Anxiety disorders: These disorders can cause extreme fear, panic, and apprehension. Diagnoses include panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social phobia, and generalized anxiety disorder.
- Mood disorders: These disorders involve serious and ongoing distortions in an individual’s mood. Diagnoses include depression and bipolar disorder
- Psychotic disorders and schizophrenia: These disorders can impact language, perception, and thought structure. They may also cause hallucinations, delusions, incoherent speech, and reasoning difficulties.
- Dementia: Dementia impacts cognitive ability, disruption in consciousness, and motor impairment. The most common diagnoses are Alzheimer’s disease and substance-induced dementia
When signs of mental illness begin to have a serious impact on your life, this is when psychiatric conditions are often diagnosed.
Common Symptoms and Signs of Mental Illness
It may be time to get mental health treatment if you see these symptoms in yourself or someone you love:
- Social withdrawal
- Lower functioning than usual
- Difficulty with thoughts or processing information
- Heightened sensitivity to sounds, sights, touch, etc.
- Feeling of disconnection or unreality
- Sleep, appetite or mood changes
- Odd or uncharacteristic behavior
If you notice these personality disorder types or symptoms in yourself or a loved one, you should get professional help. Many mental illnesses can be successfully controlled with medication and/or therapy.
How Rose Hill Center Can Help
Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. Treating it in a beautiful residential environment can promote the peace and healing you need. Located on 400 lovely acres in Holly, Michigan, Rose Hill Center will help you to focus on the mental health difficulties that are severely impacting you and keeping you from living the life you want.
Our focus is on you, the whole person. At Rose Hill, we will give you the tools to live with and overcome mental health challenges such as:
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Bipolar disorder and depression
- Personality disorder
- Co-occurring substance use disorder
No longer do you need to be a prisoner to your mental illness. Rose Hill Center understands your challenges, and out mental health treatment methods give you the keys to overcome them. Call our caring counselors today at 866-367-0220.