Although the essence of mental health is hard to define as it involves so many individual aspects, healthy people generally have a number of the qualities listed below.
How many of the following do you currently experience in your life?
- The ability to love and be loved
- A feeling of security and belonging
- Spontaneity and a range of emotional responses
- The ability to trust
- The ability to take responsibility for your own feelings and behavior
- The ability to accept criticism
- The ability to feel inspired and use your imagination and creativity
- A degree of self-knowledge to enable the repair of the self, following harm
- The ability to learn from experience
- The ability to express thoughts and feelings
- A feeling of comfort with your sexuality
- A sense of humor to help savor the joys and absurdities of life
Things You Can Do To Maintain Your Mental Health
Talking to friends, family or even a counselor about your thoughts and feelings can help sort out problems and can also help relieve stress and anxiety
Eat, sleep and exercise regularly
When anxious or under stress, we often neglect ourselves—we don’t eat nutritious food, exercise or sleep properly; paying attention to these areas of our lives can make a significant difference to our mental health.
When a problem is too hard to solve alone or with the help of friends and family, there are many people you can turn to for help and/or advice, including your family doctor, community groups, psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, social works and counselors.
Information provided by the Mental Health Association NSW, Inc.